Today I am sharing with you a very common Bengali curry recipe made with Danta,dry Jackfruit Seeds, Shrimps and various vegetables. It is a quick and easy to make recipe, very testy and nutritious also. The curry is little spicy and has little gravy, generally made in Rainy Season. To this recipe you can use any vegetable you have in hand.
Cooking time – 40 minutes. Serve – 4
- Danta – 250 grams.(peeled and cut into long pieces)
- Dried jackfruit seeds – 250 grams.(peeled and cut into halves)
- Shrimps – 40o grams.
- Potato (large) – 1 (peeled and cut into cubes)
- Pumpkin – 250 grams (peeled and cut into cubes)
- Eggplants – 1 (cut into cubes)
- Ridge gourd – 250 grams (peeled and cut into pieces)
- Pointed gourd (parwal) – 200 grams (cut into pieces)
- Dry red chilly – 2
- Bay leaves – 2.
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Ginger paste – 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp.
- coriander powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp.
- Oil – 6 tbsp.
- Slit green chilly – 4
- Ghee – 1 tsp.
Clean and wash the shrimps and marinate with a pinch of salt, keep aside. Heat 3 tbsp.of oil in a frying pan, add the chopped tomato, saute for 1 minute. Add ginger, red chilly – cumin- coriander powders and 1/2 cup of water. Saute on slow heat till oil separates. Add 1/2 cup of water and marinated shrimps, saute for 2 minutes. Remove pan from the heat, keep the shrimp masala aside.
Heat 3 tbsp.of oil in a large frying pan, add dry red chilly. Stir fry until light brown. Add cumin seeds and bay leaves and stir. When the cumin looks brown, add all the vegetables, salt and turmeric powder. Mix them properly. Cover the pan and cook for 6 to 7 minutes (stir in between). Add 2 cups of water, cover the pan, cook for 4 to5 minutes. Add the shrimp masala,sugar and mix well. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are cooked. When the gravy starts thickening, remove pan from the heat. Mix ghee, cover the pan and give 10 minutes standing time.
Delicious Bengali Curry is ready, serve with plain Rice or Roti.